Required Documents for Application
Once you have submitted your Chemistry Applicant Datasheet, you will need to log into your Graduate Education Student Portal using your Applicant ID number and Password issued when you submitted the MSU Graduate Application.
Within your Graduate Education Student Portal, the REQUIRED documents need to be uploaded. Not submitting any of these documents, will delay your application to be reviewed by the search committee. Please email the required documents to CEM.Admissions@msu.edu and we will get these documents uploaded into your graduate application portal
- Transcript(s) (Domestic and International Applicants) –
- Upload unofficial transcript(s) in your Graduate Education Student Portal - these are considered unofficial transcript(s) and are for evaluation purposes only.
- Should you be offered admittance, we MUST have official sealed and stamped; certification of graduation, degree granting diploma or transcripts from every university or college that you have attended, in both English and the original language right away. Not submitting this information will cause delay for your admittance by the University and preparation of your I-20.
- Please note that if you are admitted and have not received a degree granting transcript, you will need to mail your official degree granting transcript to the MSU Office of Admissions by the end of Fall semester
- * U.S. DEGREE EQUIVALENCY* Admission to a program leading to a masters or doctoral degree requires completion of a level of education comparable to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree. High Scholastic standing and suitable preparation for the intended field of study are also considered. Normally, Michigan State University does not accept three-year bachelor’s degrees, diplomas or certificates as comparable to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree
- Submit TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo Scores (International Applicants) - (ETS Institution Code:
- Upload scores in your Graduate Education Student Portal - these are considered unofficial scores and are for evaluation purposes only.
- All international students who received their Bachelor’s degree from a NON-U.S. institute MUST submit TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo Scores.
- TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo Scores scores are required by the University and scores older than 2 years will not be accepted per University guidelines
- Not providing TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo Scores scores will delay your application being reviewed by the search committee:
- English Proficiency Waivers: Applicants will ONLY receive an automatic English proficiency waiver if they earned a Bachelor’s degree in the U.S.
- Applicants that receive an offer may be required to attend our mandatory Academic Culture and English Skills (ACES) Program held by the MSU Graduate School, starting mid-July through late August of the incoming year. This information will be stated within the applicants offer letter
- More information regarding English Proficiency score requirements and waiver information.
Submit a MINIMUM of 3 Recommendation Letters (Domestic and International Applicants)
To set up your Letters of Recommendation you will log into your Graduate Education Student Portal. You will need to “Register Recommender” with their first and last name and their email address. Your recommenders will automatically receive an email with the link and password to log in and submit their recommendation for you.
Please make sure the email you are entering for them,is correct. You cannot update their email address at a later time.
- Submit Academic Purpose (Domestic and International Applicants)
- Submit Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose (Domestic and International Applicants)
For help on what to submit for an Academic Statement and Personal Statement please visit the FAQs section.
F. Submit Resume/CV (Domestic and International Applicants)
Official Transcript Information Can Be Mailed to:
Michigan State University
Hannah Administration Building
Attn: Graduate Admissions
426 Auditorium Road, Room 250
East Lansing MI 48824-2604