Chemistry Admissions Contacts:
Admissions Contact: Anna Osborn - Academic Program Coordinator, Phone: 517-353-1092
Admissions Contact Email Address: CEM.Admissions@msu.edu
- For Fall 2024 admissions; International students have a deadline of December 15th 2023, to apply.
Your application file will not be reviewed until all the required documents listed below have been uploaded.
How to Apply
STEP 1 - Chemistry Applicant Datasheet (Submit only once):
Fill out at https://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/graduate/cemgradapply
STEP 2- MSU Graduate Application (contact us before starting your University application)
Fill out the MSU Graduate Application. Application major Chemistry (Doctoral) (College of Natural Science) (we do not accept admissions into the Master’s Program).
View the Graduate Applicant Slate Instructions PDF file for step-by-step instructions on how to submit a University application (not all questions will pertain to graduate admissions).
Once you have created a University application, please email the Chemistry admissions office CEM.Admissions@msu.edu the following required documents.
- Upload unofficial transcript(s) in your Graduate Education Student Portal - these are considered unofficial transcript(s) and are for evaluation purposes only.
- Should you be offered admittance, the MSU Office of Admissions must have an official stamped and sealed bachelor’s degree transcript. Not submitting this information will cause delay for your admittance by the University.
- Please note that if you are admitted and have not received a degree granting transcript, you will need to mail your official degree granting transcript to the MSU Office of Admissions by the end of Fall semester
*U.S. DEGREE EQUIVALENCY*
Admission to a program leading to a masters or doctoral degree requires completion of a level of education comparable to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree. High Scholastic standing and suitable preparation for the intended field of study are also considered. Normally, Michigan State University does not accept three-year bachelor’s degrees, diplomas or certificates as comparable to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 3 Recommendation Letters (submitted through MSU Graduate Application)
- Academic Statement
- Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo Score - (ETS Institution Code: 1465)
- Upload your English Proficiency score in your Graduate Education Student Portal - these are considered unofficial scores and are for evaluation purposes only.
- All international students who receive their Bachelor’s degree from a NON-U.S. institute MUST submit English Proficiency scores. English equivalency certificates are not acceptable.
- TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo scores are required by the University and scores older than 2 years will not be accepted per University guidelines.
- Not providing TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo scores will delay your application being reviewed by the admissions committee
- English Proficiency Waivers: Applicants will ONLY receive an automatic English Proficiency/English Language Exam score waiver if they
earned a Bachelor’s degree in the U.S..
- However; those students are still required to perform the MSU SPEAK test in order to meet the The Graduate School requirement for all international teaching assistants.
- Applicants that receive an offer will be required to attend our mandatory Academic Culture and English Skills (ACES) is held by the MSU Graduate School, starting mid-July through late August of the incoming year. This information will be stated within the applicants offer letter
- To find out more information regarding TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo score requirements and waiver information please review the English Language Proficiency Requirement page
- GRE General Score - not required for admission to the chemistry graduate program but recommended
- GRE Subject Score - not required for admission to the chemistry graduate program but recommended
Should you be admitted - official degree granting transcript Information must be mailed
Michigan State University
Hannah Administration Building
426 Auditorium Road, Room 250
East Lansing MI 48824-2604
Applications are accepted for Fall Semester, Ph.D. program only.
We do not accept applications for Spring or Summer Semester, or Master's program.
Your application status will not change within your graduate portal, until a decision has been made on your application.