Considering Graduate School in Chemistry?
Keep an eye for our annual "Considering Graduate School in Chemistry?" event, organized by Dr. Kathy Severin and Dr. Sheba Onchiri.
Join us for pizza and an informal discussion about graduate school in chemistry with Professors Gary Blanchard and Babak Borhan and current graduate students. Bring your questions – some suggested topics are given below.
Who’s Invited: Any undergraduate student who is considering pursuing a graduate degree in chemistry.
Some Topics for Discussion:
Is grad school for you?
- MS vs PhD program – what do they prepare you for?
- What does a PhD program entail? Research, courses, teaching.
- Stipends & tuition waivers: RA vs TA.
- How long does it take? What are the general requirements for graduation?
- Should I work first, then go to graduate school?
Preparing yourself for grad school (what is the admission committee looking for?)
- Undergraduate research
- BA vs BS in Chemistry
- What GPA is expected?
- GRE? Chemistry GRE?
- How do you choose the schools?
- How many should you apply to?
- Letters of recommendation – who should you ask?
- Personal statements
- Timelines for applications and the GRE
- Decisions: School visits
Monday, October 7th 2019, 7 - 8 pm