Chemistry Admissions Contacts:
Admissions Contact: Anna Osborn - Graduate Secretary, Phone: 517-353-1092
Admissions Contact Email Address: chemistryadmissions AT chemistry DOT msu DOT edu
- For Fall 2021 admissions; International students have a deadline of December 15th, to submit an application file. Your application file will not be reviewed until all the required documents listed below have been uploaded.
How to Apply
Please review the following How to Successfully Apply to view what the Chemistry Application process will look like. A complete application includes the following:
- Chemistry Applicant Datasheet (Submit only once):
Fill out at https://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/graduate/apply/#/type/international
- MSU Graduate Application (Submit only once):
Fill out at https://admissions.msu.edu/application/default.aspx?AL=IG . The MSU code for a Chemistry PhD is 3575 (we do not accept admissions into the Master’s Program). Once you start your application, you will receive an Applicant ID number and set up a Password. You will need your Password and Applicant ID number to log into the Graduate Education Student Portal. You DO NOT need to submit the application payment. You will be prompted to submit payment however; the Department of Chemistry still has access to your application without payment and if admitted, the Department of Chemistry will pay the fee. The Department of Chemistry pays the graduate application fee for those who are admitted into our program.
*IMPORTANT* Please make sure that your name entered into the MSU Graduate Application is the same as stated on your passport. The way you enter your name on your Graduate Application is the way your I-20 will be prepared, should you receive an offer and accept it.
- Complete your graduate application to the Department of Chemistry by logging into your Graduate Education Student Portal using your Applicant ID number and Password issued when you submitted the MSU Graduate Application (step #2)
Within your Graduate Education Student Portal, upload the REQUIRED documents. Not submitting any of these documents, will delay your application to be reviewed by the search committee
* U.S. DEGREE EQUIVALENCY*
Admission to a program leading to a masters or doctoral degree requires completion of a level of education comparable to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree. High Scholastic standing and suitable preparation for the intended field of study are also considered. Normally, Michigan State University does not accept three-year bachelor’s degrees, diplomas or certificates as comparable to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree
- Upload unofficial transcript(s) in your Graduate Education Student Portal - these are considered unofficial transcript(s) and are for evaluation purposes only.
- Should you be offered admittance, we MUST have official sealed and stamped; certification of graduation, degree granting diploma or transcripts from every university or college that you have attended, in both English and the original language right away. Not submitting this information will cause delay for your admittance by the University and preparation of your I-20.
- Applicants from Chinese Universities - Should you be offered admittance, Chinese students MUST obtain verification of transcripts and graduation certificates from the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). Students should send copies of their documents along with payment to CDGDC. The CDGDC verifies grades and degrees and then sends via carrier service directly to the Chemistry Department. Please note that if you are admitted and have not received a degree granting transcript, you will need to mail your official degree granting transcript to the MSU Office of Admissions by the end of Fall semester
- Submit TOEFL or IELTS Score - (ETS Institution Code: 1465)
- Upload scores in your Graduate Education Student Portal - these are considered unofficial scores and are for evaluation purposes only.
- All international students who received their Bachelor’s degree from a NON-U.S. institute MUST submit either a TOEFL or IELTS scores. English equivalency certificates are not acceptable.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores are required by the University and scores older than 2 years will not be accepted per University guidelines
- Not providing TOEFL/IELTS scores will delay your application being reviewed by the search committee:
- TOEFL Waivers: Applicants will ONLY receive an automatic TOEFL/English Language Exam score waiver if they earned a Bachelor’s degree in the U.S. for University admissions. However; those students are still required to perform the MSU SPEAK test in order to meet the The Graduate School requirement for all international teaching assistants.
- Applicants that receive an offer will be required to attend our mandatory Summer English Program (SEP) held by the MSU Graduate School, starting mid-July through late August of the incoming year. This information will be stated within the applicants offer letter
- To find out more information regarding TOEFL/IELTS score requirements and waiver information please click here: https://www.chemistry.msu.edu/graduate-program/prospective-students/how-to-apply/toefl-and-ielts-requirements/
- GRE General Score -
- Are not required for admission to the chemistry graduate program.
- GRE Subject Score - not required but recommended
- Submit a MINIMUM of 3 Recommendation Letters -
- To set up your Letters of Recommendation you will log into your Graduate Education Student Portal. You will need to “Register Recommender” with their first and last name and their email address. Your recommenders will automatically receive an email with the link and password to log in and submit their recommendation for you.
- If they do not receive an email, please verify that you have personally entered their contact information correctly and ask that they check their SPAM or trash folders
- Submit Academic Purpose (if uploading as a separate document, state that in the application)
- Submit Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose (if uploading as a separate document, state that in the application)
- Resume/CV - Required
Transcript Information Can Be Mailed to:
Michigan State University
Hannah Administration Building
426 Auditorium Road, Room 250
East Lansing MI 48824-2604
Applications are accepted for Fall Semester, Ph.D. program only.
We do not accept applications for Spring or Summer Semester, or Master's program.
You will be able to check your application status through the Graduate Portal found at http://www.admissions.msu.edu/gradportal