Chemistry Admissions Contact:
Admissions Contact: Anna Osborn, Graduate Secretary, Phone: 517-353-1092
Admissions Contact Email Address: chemistryadmissions AT chemistry DOT msu DOT edu
- For Fall 2017 admissions; Domestic students do not have a deadline to begin or submit an application file, but we recommend that they begin their application as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Please review the following PDF File to view what the Chemistry Application process will look like. A complete application includes the following:
- Chemistry Applicant Datasheet (Submit only once):
Fill out at https://www.chemistry.msu.edu/graduate-program/prospective-students/applicant-datasheet/
- MSU Graduate Application (Submit only once):
Fill out at https://admissions.msu.edu/application/app.asp?AL=G . The MSU code for a Chemistry PhD is 3575 (we do not accept admissions into the Master’s Program). The Chemistry department pays the graduate application fee for those who are admitted into our program. Therefore, you DO NOT need to submit the application payment. We understand that you will be prompted to submit payment however; the Chemistry department still has access to your application without payment and if admitted, the Chemistry department will pay the fee.
- Complete your graduate application to the Chemistry Department by logging into your Graduate Education Student Portal using your applicant ID and password issued when you submitted the MSU Graduate Application (step #2)
ALL items are REQUIRED; not submitting any of these documents, will delay review of your application by the search committee:
- Transcript(s) – Unofficial transcripts should be uploaded within the online Graduate Education Student Portal for evaluation purposes only.
- Should you be offered admittance, we MUST have official sealed and stamped; certification of graduation, degree granting diploma or transcripts from every university or college that you have ever attended. Not submitting this information will cause delay and possible removal of your admittance
- Please note that if you are admitted and have not received a degree granting transcript, you will also need to use this process again during your first semester at MSU.
- Submit GRE Subject Score- not required but highly recommended
- We accept photocopies of test scores in order to review applications, but we must receive official scores through ETS for students who receive an offer of admission to be admitted.
- Submit GRE General Score- (ETS codes: 1465 for MSU)
- Submit a Minimum of 3 Recommendation Letters
- Submit Academic Purpose
- Submit Statement of Purpose
Transcript Information Can Be Mailed to:
Michigan State University
Attn: Anna Osborn
578 S Shaw Ln Room 320
East Lansing MI 48824
Applications are accepted for Fall Semester, Ph.D. program only. We do not accept applications for Spring or Summer Semester, or Master's program.
You will be able to check your application status through the Graduate Portal found at http://www.admissions.msu.edu/gradportal